FAS / FASD Diagnosis
Fetal Alcohol Syndrome
In our facility, the diagnosis is carried out by an interdisciplinary team of specialists authorized to diagnose FAS / FASD, who have the skills to assess neuropsychological and central nervous system functions.
The entire diagnosis lasts about 6 hours and is carried out one day.
Stage of diagnosis
1. Collecting available documentation about the child and discussing the case by the entire interdisciplinary team trained at University of Washington in Seattle, USA.
2. Interview conducted by specialists and practitioners in work with children suspected of having FAS/FASD.
3. Analysis of a child’s photo using a diagnostic tool FAS Facial Photographic Analysis Software.
4. Speech therapy diagnosis carried out by an experienced and authorized to diagnose FAS/FASD speech language pathologist.
5. Psychology diagnosis carried out by an experienced and authorized to diagnose FAS/FASD psychologist.
6. Neurological examination carried out by an experienced and authorized physiotherapist.
7. Medical examination carried out by an experienced doctor with additional specialization in the field of psychotherapy.
8. Meeting of the entire diagnostic team, discussion of results and establishing the diagnosis using FASD 4-Digit Diagnostic Code.
9. Preparing and issuing a comprehensive and indisputable medical document regarding the diagnosis of FAS / FASD, signed by the whole team and containing recommendations for parents / guardians, educational, care and upbringing institutions, as well as for possible further diagnoses.
All tests and examinations are carried out on standardized diagnostic tools and by authorized specialists. Please remember, that each test has detailed instructions and standards for its use and cannot be used by persons who have not received appropriate training. At the same time, I would like to draw your attention and ask you to analyze whether a reliable diagnosis of such a comprehensive disorder as FAS / FASD can be issued by one person in such a short time (1-2 hours)?
Objectively considering this issue, one person who is not at the same time a doctor, psychologist, speech language patologist, physiotherapist and social worker / practitioner at work with children with FAS / FASD, it is not possible to notice any irregularities in the development of the child and complete all relevant training necessary to bring reliable diagnosis.
As a Founder of the Fascinating Child’s World Foundation and a person who cares about a good of the child, I object to diagnosing FAS / FASD without assessing the functioning of the child by many specialists, as it can largely lead to abuses in this area and make a real risk of incorrect diagnosis.